I am at Disneyland so often I have contemplated changing my address with the post office. I see and hear many things. Many people forget the second they step foot into the park is to use good etiquette. I realize you are excited. You still need to practice basic etiquette which at Disney can differ from what Miss Manners might say.
Your experience depends on how those around you behave and on how you act. So Disney etiquette is crucial to having a great visit. These tips make your holiday and holiday of others better.
1. Do not hog the photo opportunities. Photo Pass Photographers and Cast Members sometimes offer photo props; please remember other people want to use them too. For example, you want a photo at the Mint Julep wall. Or a castle shot doesn't forget others want to take pictures. Let other guests pass you and please remember Disneyland is a theme park, not a portrait studio.
2. Do not overstay your welcome. If you’re the only person in the line for the princess meet and greet at the Royal Hall or the only Guest on Main Street that wants to hang out with Goofy fine. Spending 5 minutes with a character when a line exists is rude. I’ve seen people ask characters to autograph multiple autograph books and shirts or other souvenirs. Afterwards pose for a group picture and individual pictures. When you have a large party that is rude. If parents want a quick pic of their child with Mickey and a family shot that may be ok but remember other people are waiting for a turn. If you question yourself that you are talking too long leave.
3. Stop saving parade spots. Annual Passholders are often guilty of this. Many will show up and sit on Main Street with a tablet or laptop and work and stick around for several hours. Families will park a grandparent on the street with backpacks, strollers, blankets, or towels to save spaces. I've seen people taking naps. That is crazy. There should be plenty of parade spots before the parades so stop doing this. Disney put the kibosh on this. They failed.
4. Please do not block the view of other people. I feel iPad's don’t belong if you’re using them to take pictures. They are humongous and can obstruct others views. I’ve seen people videotape an entire ride holding an iPad up ruining the ride for everyone else. Cell phones apply to this too. If you want to take pictures during a parade stand up behind the front row, please do not stand in front of everyone with your camera or phone out. Do not block the view of others.
5. Stop photo bombing or ruining other peoples pictures. When you’re on a ride that takes pictures, do not pose for photographs and block other people. If you pose for the drops ask to sit in the back please. Want to do something silly? Ask the other people sitting with you if they mind. I get it's your memories but on rides that take pictures its other peoples memories too. When the people in front of me on Splash Mountain do a stupid pose, they may block my party or worse ruin a milestone such as my child's time on Splash Mountain I don't want a picture of a random stranger dabbing.
6. Please don’t cut in the lines. Don't use my mom/spouse/kids/friends are waiting excuse to cut the line. I have line tips here. Everyone's time is valuable.
7. Don’t argue with the Cast Members if you miss your FastPass cut off time. It's your wrong, not theirs. Unless the ride closed during your return time pardon the pun, let it go.
8. Don’t monopolize the Cast Members time and be polite to them. I get it you had to ask when Fantasmic is but they need not know you're here with your 3rd cousin six times removed, and their niece is meeting you and your life story. When you tell them the information, they need not answer your question you are making everyone else wait. If you are mad because the Rose Gold Jerseys or Popcorn Buckets sell out, don't lecture the Cast Members either. If you have a problem, go to City Hall.
9. Please be kind to the ducks. Do not feed them bread and popcorn. That is not healthy for them. Do not let your children chase them. Don't let children throw things at animals.
10. No swearing. Kids are everywhere just refrain from swearing.
11. Smoking and vaping. I am furious they allowed smoking on Big Thunder Trail after it reopened. Smoking is deadly lighting up or vaping because you cannot wait long enough to find a smoking area is just detrimental to the health of others. Smoke in designated areas only.
12. Clean up after yourself. There are garbage cans everywhere. I don't think this warrants any further explanation.
13. Know of your surroundings this applies to strollers and selfie takers. It goes both ways if you're pushing a stroller pay attention. Don't run or force your way through crowds with one. When walking pay attention to where you are going. I have seen plenty of people walk into strollers and then blame the person pushing it. I have also seen parents not paying attention. Don't stop in the middle of the street or walkway either. Stroller or no stroller. Selfie or to read your map or check your phone. You are obstructing traffic.
14. Do not scream on purpose. On the Haunted Mansion do not yell on the elevator. This is annoying and scares kids. Yelling on the rides is not cool. You're ruining the ride, scaring kids, and hurting people's ears.
15. No flash pictures on the rides.
To make wonderful memories being kind and considerate will serve you better than everything else. What else should be on this list?